Monday, July 30, 2012

Auntie Em gets crafty...

My mother gave me her third-best sewing machine this Christmas (no really - my mother also has a Pfaff (a classic) and a heavy duty industrial leather sewing machine (a bizarre impulse purchase that even she can't explain!))

I'm slowly graduating from cushions and curtains (right angles are hard)  onto more exciting projects. Tonight I will be debuting this little number over dinner:

I look shocked - probably at the state of the bathroom mirror!


Made to this pattern:

Misses Dresses New Look Sewing Pattern No. 6000. Size 4-16.

Made from this lovely £5/m brocade that I bought when we went to Shrewsbury for Dan and Sarah's wedding. 

The pattern was surprisingly easy to make up, and the muslin prototype I made up was done in about an hour, The real dress took much longer, mainly because the brocade does tend to fray. My kingdom for an over-locker!

I thought the sun ray pleats and the stand up collar would fox me but they were very straightforward. It feels wonderful on - the ease given in the pattern isn't too generous so I don't feel swamped as I sometimes do with New Look patterns. All in all I rate this pattern very highly, even for a near novice. I'll be making it again soon - maybe in a wool crepe for winter.

(And for those of you who are more interested in the alcohol - the port is now at 7% PA which I reckon is 9% ABV. It's still bubbling away.)

No comments:

Post a Comment